Lately we’ve been having some generally yucky weather…with clouds, humidity, intermittent drizzling, and a threat of thunderstorm. Days like these are tough to plan with little ones. I aim for my 5 and 2 year old to run around outside AT LEAST once a day so they can burn off some of their energy. Without outdoor activities, I have to get creative.
Refrain from turning on the TV and the iPad right away. You may need these by the end of the rainy day, so don’t waste them too soon. Try these first:
1. Start with a dance party! It’s good for their health, and yours!
2. Open up the dress-up trunk and have some role-play fun. We went through the superheroes, pirates and princesses…then mixed and matched.
3. Unearth the puzzles. You have lots of time for that mess today!
4. Lego master building time!
5. Have them help you bake some cookies. If you have the ingredients already, congrats, you don’t have to go out in the rain.
6. Put on your wellies and go outside anyway. Jump in the puddles and make mudpies. We did this today and followed with showers. WARNING! Don’t go outside when there’s a looming thunderstorm.
7. While outside, use those messy painting crafts you’ve been avoiding, and let the rain wash away the mess.
8. When that gets old, let her “paint” the outdoor toys with water.
9. Just before the rain is a good time to let them draw all over your driveway with chalk. It washes right out.
10. When all else fails, Disney movie!
What do you do to keep your kids busy on a rainy day?